PGRFC vs Caldy

Date: 20 April 2015

Preston Grasshoppers ended their last home game of the season with a win after seeing off Caldy at Lightfoot Green on Saturday.

The four point victory was a big boost in retaining their Division 2 North status, with just one game of the season to go.

Hoppers started with intent and scored the opening try through Christopher Taylor, who scrambled over the line before Lewis Allen sent over the conversion.

Taylor got his second try of the game just before the half hour mark after good support for team mate Phil Mills, which was again converted by Allen.

The visitors produced a number of errors and couldn’t get a foothold in the game, meaning Hoppers went in for half time with a comfortable lead.

Hoppers made a similar start to the second 40 as they did the first, an Allen penalty and Reece Tomlinson try meant the hosts were starting to run away with the tie.

Caldy enjoyed a phase of possession though and were able to pull back two tries through Jack Collister and Christian Jones, as they clawed their way back into the match.

Richard Morton came on to make his 198th appearance in Hoppers colours.

Dominic Moon was denied what would have been an important bonus point try late on, as Hoppers now look to the final game of the season away at Hull RFC next week where they will look to ensure safety.

Garth Dew said after the game: “It was an outstanding performance. In the week we remained pragmatic, we discussed how we could beat Caldy and put a game plan in place.

“The defensive effort was unbelievable, they put their bodies on the line and we finished some nice tries as well.

“But looking at the other results I don’t think the job’s done yet, so there’s still a little bit to do.”
On the denied bonus point try, Dew said: “It’s a shame we couldn’t get that bonus point at the end.
“Dominic Moon went over for a try, and it didn’t look forward to me but that’s what’s been given, and it means this saga goes on for another week.”

Back to Rugby Reports Back to Fixtures