After more than 12 years of sterling service the Club’s Chairman, George Erdozain, has decided to step down from the role.
He took over at short notice, giving up his then role as President, at a time when the club was at a low ebb. In the 12 years he has overseen a turnaround in the Club’s fortunes and in particular:
- The appointment of a full time professional General Manager
- An increase in the Club’s commercial turnover of 400%
- A widening of the Club’s sponsorship and support base producing more than 4 times the previous revenue
- A reduction in debt from over £500k to less than £50k
- An expansion of the playing side of the club to encompass Ladies Rugby
- The RFU’s decision to locate an AGP at the Club as they recognised we were the best run club in the area
- The sale of the car park in order to permit new development
He has been unstinting in his commitment to the Club not only in day to day matters but representing it in National forums. He was a leading light in opposing the changes Twickenham tried to force onto the clubs at the last Adult Rugby Review and his trenchant views have been noted by the RFU.
The Management Committee has regretfully accepted George’s resignation. Up until the AGM they have determined to share George’s many tasks between themselves. The appointment of a new Chairman is a matter for the members and the time up to the AGM will give the members time to consider who they might like to take up that position. Any member wishing to know more about the rôle is welcome to discuss it with any member of the Management Committee. The Management Committee are keen to widen participation in running the Club and any member keen to help, by standing for the Committee or otherwise, is urged to make themselves known.
In due course ways to mark George’s stepping down will be publicised but George was keen that members should know sooner rather than later of his decision. He is quite clear we have not seen the last of him down at the Club so members will have ample opportunity to chat to a George relaxed and carefree without the burdens of office! The odd pint will be no doubt appreciated.
The Club now needs to build on the legacy that George has left. We are facing exciting times with a number of changes on the professional management side of the Club and development of the clubhouse. Your Management Committee are determined to take the Club onwards and upwards.